Planar Transformer as part of a multi-layer Printed Circuit Board
Advantages of using planar transformers and chokes
Planar transformers due to the design features and manufacturability have the following advantages:
- compact dimensions that enable the use in portable equipment with a high density of electronic components;
- optimal for the development of high-efficiency pulse converters;
- good thermal characteristics;
- simplicity and reliability in production;
- reduction in cost due to the use of copper sections of layers of a multi-layer printed circuit board;
- the possibility of using automatic SMD editing.
According to their design, planar transformers or planar inductors are divided into several types:
- integrated in the printed circuit board;
An example of a hinged planar transformer made on the basis of a multilayer printed circuit board is presented below:
Depending on the technical characteristics, planar transformers can have different versions.
Power supply using planar transformers
The figure below shows the module of the power unit developed by the Terratel company using planar transformers.
In this power supply there are hinged planar transformers (Fig. 3 -2, -3) and a transformer integrated into the printed circuit board (Fig. 3 -1).
Power supply with integrated transformers and inductances.
The obvious advantages of planar transformers and chokes allow them to be successfully used in telecommunication and medical equipment, automotive industry, as well as in other highly reliable electronic devices intended for industrial use.
Terratel accepts orders for the development and manufacture of planar transformers and inductances, as well as orders for the development and manufacture of power supplies (DC/DC converters) using planar transformers.