V5.2 VoIP Gateway or V5.2 interface to SIP Converter, LE or AN mode
- up to 16 E1 interfaces
- up to 480 VoIP channels
- SS7, ISDN PRI, V5.2, R2 CAS, R2 MFC, R 1.5
- SIP, RTP, RTCP, TCP, UDP
- voice codecs G.711, G.723.1, G.726, G.729a/b, GSM
- registration and authentication – up to 5000 SIP-subscribers
- fax over G.711, T.38 fax relay
- Echo Cancellation
- SNMP monitoring
- SyncE (option)
- Single/Dual-redundant 220 VAC or 48/60 VDC Input
Terratel SIP/E1 Gateway offers additional functionality of V5.2 interface protocols (V5.2 VoIP Gateway) that allows to use this product to connect to subscriber Access Networks (AN) and Local Exchange (LE).
V5.2 VoIP Gateway from Terratel can smoothly combine subscriber access networks and TDM switch nodes with next generation IP networks by converting SIP and V5.2 protocols.
In addition the product offers V5.2 to SS7 or ISDN PRI conversion functionality that allows to incorporate the subscriber equipment access networks (AN) in Local Exchange or Digital TDM switch that does not support V5.2.
- Simultaneously supports V5.2 LE and V5.2 AN protocols within a single device
- Adapts to national standards of V5.2
- Supports integrated IP-PBX functions
- Supports SS7, ISDN PRI and R2 CAS signaling within a single device
- Provides for combining several PBXs into a corporate network with internal dialing plan
- Provides for integrating IP-TDM, TDM-IP, and TDM-TDM connections
V5.2 Interface Protocol Support
V5.2 interface protocols are implemented in Terratel products subject to the requirements defined in ETSI standards and ITU-T recommendations.
V5.2 provides for protocols of 3 functional levels – physical, data link and network.
Physical level is a standard 2,048 kbps digital transfer system represented by E1 (120 Ohm) interface.
Electrical parameters of each E1 port in V5.2 meet ITU-T G.703 and G.704 recommendations as well as ETS 300 166 standard.
V5.2 interface can contain up to 16 E1 links (2,048 kbps) and support load concentration.
The product features HDB3 or AMI line coding and CRC4 error check mode.
One V5.2 interface can support up to 3,000 PSTN ports or 1,500 ISDN basic access ports. In addition both PSTN and ISDN ports can use the same E1 links.
Data link level is represented by LAPV5 protocol whose task is to transfer network level messages.
Network level in V5.2 VoIP Gateway from Terratel is represented by the following protocols:
- PSTN signaling support protocol
- user port control service protocol (Port Control Protocol)
- common control service protocol (Common Control Protocol)
- bearer channel assignment service protocol (BBC – Bearer Channel Connection)
- interface link control service protocol (Link Control Protocol)
- protection service protocol (Protection Protocol)
Implementation of these protocols allowed V5.2 VoIP Gateway to work simultaneously in LE (Local Exchange) and AN (Access Network) modes as well as support access to analog phone services (PSTN) and ISDN basic channels.
LE and AN Mode Support
V5.2 interface protocols are implemented in a way that allows the gateway to work either in LE side mode or in AN side mode.
Simultaneous support of V5.2 LE and V5.2 AN protocols within a single device is also provided.
V5.2 VoIP Gateway can be used in several ways depending on its tasks.
Local Exchange (LE) Connection Variant is used when the digital switching TDM node is replaced with the NGN Softswitch.
The access network (AN) equipment DLC (Digital Loop Carrier) that works over V5.2 interface can be switched to the Softswitch by using VoIP Gateway as shown in the following figure.
In this variant V5.2 VoIP Gateway connects to V5.2 interface of the access network (AN) in Local Exchange (LE) mode.
V5.2 VoIP Gateway connects to the Softswitch via SIP data communications network.
Access Network (AN) Connection Variant is used when VoIP subscribers of the local network are connected to the PSTN number capacity.
In this case VoIP gateway connects to the existing local TDM switch or base PBX with free V5.2 interfaces.
The gateway towards the TDM network side looks as the remote subscriber node while towards the IP network side it looks as the IP-PBX where SIP subscribers are registered (please see the figure).
In this connection diagram V5.2 VoIP Gateway connects to V5.2 interface of the Local Exchange (LE) in Access Network (AN) mode.
Our product features simultaneous support of V5.2 LE and V5.2 AN protocols within a single device.
This means that part of E1 ports can be used in AN remote subscriber node mode and another part can be used in PBX or LE (Local Exchange).
In addition it is allowed to mix V5.2 LE, V5.2 AN and other signaling system protocols.
Integrated IP-PBX Functions Support
This functionality allows to use the gateway as IP-PBX that can register up to 5000 SIP subscribers with VAS (value added services) support.
The gateway software also allows to map TDM network subscriber numbers to SIP accounts of VoIP network with assigned authentication parameters.
The example is subscriber numbers of AN equipment (Digital Loop Carrier, subscriber multiplexers and more) that is connected to the gateway over V5.2 protocol.
V5.2 Interface Setup and Configuration
The product is set up and configured using the integrated Web interface.
To control the product two types of accounts are used: Administrator or User.
Configuration of V5.2 interface starts with setting up the required operation modes and parameters of E1 ports as shown in the following screenshot.
The next step is to configure and set up parameters of the subscriber number capacity serviced by V5.2 protocol.
Monitoring of V5.2 interface operation and the product as a whole is performed using SNMP network protocol.
V5.2 Interface Protocol Conversion Options
Since the gateway supports SS7, ISDN PRI, and V5.2 signaling it can be used as a protocol converter.
This is important when TDM networks are upgraded and it is required to adapt various telecommunications products to V5.2 interface protocols.
Using V5.2 VoIP Gateway as a protocol and interface converter allows:
- to connect V5.2 AN systems to digital PBXs (LE side) that do not support V5.2 interface
- to provide the existing V5.2 AN system with the functionality of the fully functional PBX (LE side)
- to switch subscribers of V5.2 AN system to IP network segment without implementing the Softswitch
For more information about V5.2 protocol converters and V5.2 VoIP Gateways please read the description of Terratel SIP/E1 Gateway or contact our staff.
|Network Interfaces||TDM |
SIP and RTP
|up to 16 E1 links |
up to 480 VoIP channels, 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet
Fast Ethernet, RS-232
|Signaling Protocols||IP |
|SIP, RTP, RTCP, TCP, UDP |
SS7, ISDN PRI (DSS1), V5.2, R2 CAS, R2 MFC, R 1.5
|Feature Support||Voice codecs |
Registration and Authentication
|G.711, G.723.1, G.726, G.729 |
RFC2833, SIP INFO, RFC 2976
fax over G.711, T.38 fax relay
up to 5000 SIP-subscribers
|Power||Single/Dual-redundant 220 VAC or/and 48/60 VDC Input |
Up to 24W Power consumption
|Operating Environment||Operating temperature |
|from 0°С to +60°С |
up to 80% at +25°С
|Hardware||System Type |
1U high, 19″ wide rack mountable
SIP/E1 Gateway Lite:
- SIP/E1 Gateway Lite (2Е1, 60 SIP channels, G.711 codec, echo G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway Lite (4Е1, 120 SIP channels, G.711 codec, echo G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway Lite (8Е1, 120 SIP channels, G.711 codec, echo G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway Lite (12Е1, 120 SIP channels, G.711 codec, echo G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway Lite (16Е1, 120 SIP channels, G.711 codec, echo G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway (2Е1, 60 SIP channels, G.711, G.726, G.729, T38 codecs, G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway (4Е1, 120 SIP channels, G.711, G.726, G.729, T38 codecs, G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway (8Е1, 240 SIP channels, G.711, G.726, G.729, T38 codecs, G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway (12Е1, 360 SIP channels, G.711, G.726, G.729, T38 codecs, G.168)
- SIP/E1 Gateway (16Е1, 480 SIP channels, G.711, G.726, G.729, T38 codecs, G.168)